Welcome to The Critical Thinking Consortium
TC² is a non-profit organization of Partner groups and Individual Members.
Each year we support many thousands of educators through a range of face-to-face, online and print resources and services developed around a classroom-proven approach to embedding critical thinking. Our aim is to help students learn to think and think to learn.
Search our website
Search our resources
For educational leaders
Visit our Online shop to purchase resources, memberships and more.
New at TC²
Hearty congratulations to Breanne Quist, one of our project staff members, for the completion of her Masters of Education work at Vancouver Island University. Breanne developed an online tool to help teachers navigate the challenging Web 2.0 terrain.
October 17, 2014 is the United Nations International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. The October 15 issue of The Thinking Teacher helps students explore the issue of poverty, consider the consequences faced by people living in poverty and determine actions that can break the cycle of poverty.
We are delighted to announce that TC² writer and developer, Tracey Tinley is the recipient of the Prime Minister’s Award for Teaching Excellence Certificate of Achievement, the second of our colleagues to receive this honour in two years. As well as igniting a passion for learning in her students and fellow teachers, Tracey is a lead writer with the TC² Inquiry-pacs development team. Read more.
We are pleased to announce the release of the first unit of Inquiry-pacs, our new online collection of all-inclusive courses and units in social studies, history, geography and civics that is getting rave reviews from teachers. The grade 5 strand B Ontario social studies unit, Good government and responsible citizenship is now available and the grade 4 strand A unit, Early societies, is planned for November. Several additional units are under development and are coming soon.
Are you interested in helping your staff and colleagues embed critical thinking? Register as a Friend of Critical Thinking and receive regular free resources to help you help others.
That’s a good question!
Are you interested in trying our resources and don’t know where to start?
Here are a few ideas:
- Click on “Refine search” under “Search our resources” in the box in the right column of any page. Select the grade level and subjects you’re interested in, click SUBMIT and you’ll get a list of lesson descriptions to choose from.
- Check out our Looking for resources? tip sheet
- Browse the Teaching resources menu
Why should I create my own TC² account?
Do you have questions like these?
- We're trying to implement inquiry based math but it's tough. Any ideas?
- The new social studies curriculum is based on critical inquiry. What do you have that can help?
- Our district is focused on 21st century learning. Do you have any resources that could provide some practical ideas about how to do this?
- I'm not sure how to assess student thinking effectively? Can you help?
Take less than a minute to sign up for your own free account and if you’re a Partner employee or an Individual Member you will gain access to diverse teaching and professional learning resources to help you answer questions like the above. If you’re not yet a member or Partner you still will have access to several resources and will receive an additional free resource each month.
What is the difference between partnership and membership?
Partners are organizations like schools and school districts who have joined TC². Educational leaders within these groups often work with TC² staff to provide professional learning programs for their teachers. Employees of these groups enjoy benefits such as free access to our three main online resource collections, discounts on all TC² resources and access to the library of professional resources.
Is my school or district a Partner?
Check out our list of current Partners.
If your district, school or faculty is not a TC² partner, you can obtain the benefits of partnership by becoming an Individual Member.
Please contact our administrator if you have any questions.
What resources are available for free?
- Partners and Individual Members have free access to our three main online resource collections: Tools for Thought, Critical Challenges and Source Docs.
- Everyone may download free samples from each collection.
- Each print publication also has a free lesson sample.
- Many free resources are also available in the following collections: